How We Came To Be...
In 1936 Boone's Creek Baptist Church began a two week revival meeting in a vacant Church of God building. That revival resulted in 14 professions of faith and enthusiasm was so great that the group decided to continue meeting on Sunday afternoons. It became obvious to many that this mission effort was of lasting value to the community and especially to God. Mrs. A.M. Durbin gave an old garage to be used as a premanent place for the mission and services were begun on February 13, 1937. The Durbin Tabernacle Mission was dedicated as a mission of Boones Creek Baptist Church on February 28, 1937. On October 25, 1940 the mission was organized as Durbin Memorial Baptist Church.
The old garage finally gave way to a new building. Services began in the new buidling on October 17, 1948. Services were held in that buidling until the Interstate 75 was being constructed. The church sat directly in the right-of-way. The last service in the building was held on Easter Sunday, April 22, 1962. New land was purchased, construction began and the new church was completed in May of 1963. Over the years renovations were done to enlarge the sanctuary and fellowship hall and to update the facility.
The small mission, whose origin goes back to a revival in 1936, has been used to impact the lives around the surrounding counties of Fayette, Madison, and Clark counties. The desire for this church is to share the message of Jesus Christ as well as make disciples of all nations. As we seek to share the message of Christ, we will bring praise and honor to God.